Please be sure to attend a CAPACS Training Workshop and/or Informational Session
The Next CAPACS Accreditation Review Committee and Site Visit Team Training Workshop will be held at the 2019 AACS Annual Meeting in Portland, OR.
The Commission on Accreditation of Programs in Applied and Clinical Sociology (CAPACS or the Commission) will conduct a pre-conference "Accreditation Review Committee (ARC) and Site Visit Team (SVT) Training Workshop" at the 2019 AACS Annual Meeting in Portland, OR. Activities planned for the workshop include an interactive slideshow, large and small group discussion, and exercise. Training materials will be furnished on-site. The pre-conference training workshop will be presented in two sessions: 1:00 – 2:50 pm (part 1), and 3:00 – 5:00 pm (part 2) on Thursday, October 17th, 2019, at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square (9000 SW Washington Square Road, Tigard, Oregon, 97223, USA; TEL: +1-503-644-4000; FAX: +1-503-641-4654). There is no fee for the workshop. Participants are invited to attend the AACS “Welcome Reception,” following the Workshop, where complimentary food and beverages will be provided.
Who is the CAPACS Training Workshop For?
The workshop is intended for new Commissioners who will be joining the CAPACS Board of Directors; current Commissioners, as a "refresher" course; and members of AACS, and other professional sociologists, who are interested in participating on a CAPACS accreditation review committee and site visit team. The workshop covers the Commission’s Standards, Self-Study Guidelines, Accreditation Policies and Procedures, and Review Process Guidelines.
What Happens After I Complete the CAPACS Training Workshop?
Participants who successfully complete the Workshop will be able to serve as accreditors (reviewers) on accreditation review committees and as site visitors on site visit teams.
- As "Accreditors," participants will be able to differentiate and apply five sets of industry-wide standards for professional programs supported by the Commission. Areas include institutional resources, program structure, practice experience, student learning goals and outcomes, and monitoring and quality control.
- As "Site Visitors," participants will be able to conduct two- and three-day site of visits of applicant programs to determine quality and effectiveness; and engage in semi-structured interviews with program faculty, students, alumni, advisory boards, administrators, and internship supervisors. Areas include matriculation, advisement, resources, curriculum, marketing, and program assessment and evaluation.
- TriMet is the Portland, OR, metro transportation system:
- Go to the Trip Planner or Transit Tracker on the site: The SW Eliander & One Embassy Center Southbound is Stop ID 6125, and is served by the following lines: 56, 76, 78. The stop is located 0.05 miles away from the hotel (a few blocks), which has a shuttle service to the station. This station also has connections to Portland International Airport.
- Portland International Airport is 23 miles away.
- Use the Ground Transportation link for charter bus, hotel shuttle, taxi, rental and car services, parking, and public transportation.
- Portland-Hillsboro Airport is 15 miles away.
RECREATION, MEDIA & GOVERNMENT
- Tualatin Valley website for Tigard lists local restaurants and entertainment.
- Tigard Chamber of Commerce website offers a calendar of upcoming events.
- Google Map Link for the Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square Hotel
CAPACS Informational Panels
The Commission also hosts informational panels on "CAPACS Accreditation," which feature a brief history and overview of CAPACS as an accreditor of applied, clinical, and engaged public sociology and sociological practice programs; and discussions on the increasing global demand to accredit disciplinary and professional programs in the social and behavioral sciences as a process of external quality review; the oversight of higher education accreditation commissions; CAPACS accreditation standards; and the benefits of CAPACS accreditation in the discipline of Sociology and the profession of sociological practice. Times, Dates, and Locations TBA. Please bookmark this web page, or return to the CAPACS website, soon, for details.